Keypads typically operate in two modes:
When Num Lock is off:
keys 8, 6, 2, and 4 act like arrow/navigation keys up, right, down, and left
keys7, 9, 3, and 1 act like Home, PgUp,PgDn, and End.
When Num Lock is on:
digit keys produce the corresponding digit. On Apple Macintosh computers, which lack a Num Lock key, the numeric keypad always produces only numbers; the Num Lock key is replaced by the Clear key.
Numeric keypads are useful for many different applications; for example:
- Entering long sequences of numbers quickly, for example in spreadsheets, financial/accounting programs, and calculators.
- Computer games - where the player must control a character, for example roguelikes. Unlike arrow keys, the numeric keypad allows diagonal movement. For keyboards without a numeric keypad, some games provide alternative movement keys, such as classic Rogue's HJKL keys.
- As an alternative to the WASD keys for navigation in computer gaming. This can be an attractive option for left-handedpeople who prefer to use the mouse with their left hand.
- For typing special symbols such as the degree symbol (° Alt-0176), the copyright symbol (© Alt-0169), letters with accent or tilde (é Alt-0233, ñ Alt-0241), etc. See Alt Code.
- Data input - Ten key speed is measured in Keystrokes per Hour (KPH). The minimum required speed for many data entry jobs is around 9000 KPH with good accuracy. A speed of 12,000 is considered excellent.
- Also used by some systems for input of Chinese characters, for example CKC Chinese Input System and Q9 input method.
The Ergonomic Keyboard
Standard designs require you to adjust your entire posture when typing. Ergonomic designs fit your natural hand and wrist positioning. This engineered contour reduces hand and wrist stress.
Key Benefits of an Ergonomic Keyboard
Carpal tunnel syndrome is more common now than ever. These keyboards are engineered to fight this. Thus, creating a healthier work environment. It's an economic way to reduce fatigue and discomfort in the workplace.
- bigcommerce code editor hack. don't delete it.