at a desk all day can wreak havoc on your body. Every part of you can
get stiff and sore. Even worse, you might actually become injured from
poor posture. Therefore, it's essential that you where you sit is
comfortable and ergonomically sound.
actual seat of the chair, also known as the seat pan, should provide
plenty of room for your hips to sit comfortable, plus a few inches to
spare on each side. Just like jeans, a little wiggle room is a good
- Your weight should be spread evenly across the seat pan and you should still feel comfortable after an hour of sitting.
- The seat shouldn't be too deep for
your upper legs. It also shouldn't catch you behind
- The height of the chair should be adjustable. Better yet is the ability to adjust your chair while you're sitting in it to get the best position.
- While sitting, both your feet should be able to rest comfortably on the floor.
good work chair should also come with good back support that supports
the lower part of your back. It's ideal if the back support is
adjustable, but that's just an added bonus.
- Another nice feature is for it to fully recline for
- As for arm rests, it's important that they support your arms to keep from straining your wrists.
So, the more the arm rests adjusts, the better off your wrists will
be. When you adjust them, they should be low enough to keep your arms
at your sides and in a relaxed position.
- Be forewarned that you
should not permanently rest on the arm rests during the work day because
constant use puts pressure on the nerves in your elbow, which will be
uncomfortable. So, use them as rests for breaks during typing and mousing.
Here's for sitting in comfort and style!